October 29, 2022 01:44 PM
WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley deleted his Twitter account after promising to do so should Musk take over. His account no longer appears on the platform, but an account dedicated to his podcast remains.
“I do not have a good feeling about where this platform is heading,” Foley previously tweeted.
Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean also said he would leave Twitter “within a few hours” of Musk acquiring Twitter. He appears to have kept his promise, last retweeting posts from around the time the news was finalized. His account remains on the platform.
“Hi Twitterverse. Many thanks for the knowledge and sharing over the past ten years or so,” Dean tweeted at the time.
Hi Twitterverse. Many thanks for the knowledge and sharing over the past ten years or so. If Musk takes over Twitter I will be off within a few hours. Might be just as well for my well being but I’ve learned a lot of valuable stuff from many of you.Thank you all. Howard
— Howard Dean (@GovHowardDean) April 25, 2022
Executive producer of the television series This is Us Ken Olin announced he would be leaving the platform on Friday.
“Hey all — I’m out of here. No judgement,” Olin wrote. “Let’s keep the faith. Let’s protect our democracy. Let’s try to be kinder. Let’s try to save the planet. Let’s try to be more generous. Let’s look to find peace in the world.”
Hey all –
I’m out of here. No judgement.
Let’s keep the faith.
Let’s protect our democracy.
Let’s try to be kinder.
Let’s try to save the planet.
Let’s try to be more generous.
Let’s look to find peace in the world.
— Ken Olin (@kenolin1) October 28, 2022
Author Amy Siskind directed her over 500,000 followers to find her on Facebook should Musk head Twitter, yet she has continued to remain active on the platform to call it “trash.” Actress Jameela Jamil also previously promised she would also leave the platform, but she has continued to post hours after the acquisition was finalized Friday.
“One good thing about Elon buying twitter is that I will *FINALLY* leave and stop being a complete menace to society on here,” Jamil tweeted in April. “So it’s win win for you all really.”
One good thing about Elon buying twitter is that I will *FINALLY* leave and stop being a complete menace to society on here. So it’s win win for you all really. 😂
— ❤️ Jameela Jamil ❤️ She/Her ❤️ (@jameelajamil) April 25, 2022
Co-creator of the television show Billions Brian Koppelman said he would be transitioning to Instagram and TikTok instead of Twitter. His account has since been set to private. Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King similarly set his Twitter account to private.
Actor Alex Winter deleted all his previous tweets and has rewritten his bio to read, “Not here for now.” Instead, he has the handle to his Instagram listed.
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Josh Burrow admitted he had deleted Twitter and Instagram, but he did not cite Musk as the reason. Texas Rangers third baseman Josh Jung also inexplicably deleted the platform before his Major League Baseball debut in September.
In addition to the platform losing users, at least 300 employees have left the company since the initial offer, and more are expected.
Original posted at news.google.com