London’s Weymouth Street Hospital, famous for appearing in Channel 5’s Celebrity Botched Up Bodies, has been reprimanded after an inquest raised concerns over the death of a woman who was left in a room unattended.
Paula Andrews, 76, died after taking anti-anxiety medication ahead of a facelift at the hospital.
Her surgery was cancelled after staff wrongly believed that she was drunk and couldn’t consent to the facelift, but she had in fact taken benzodiazepines to calm herself down.
Hospital staff took her to a room to ‘sleep off her intoxication’ but was not monitored, and subsequently suffered a respiratory arrest.
Andrews died three days later at University College Hospital. The inquest raised concerns that no one checked on Andrews, particularly as she was at risk of positional asphyxia.
Mary Hassell, Senior Coroner for inner North London, has issued a Preventing Future Deaths notice to the hospital to prevent similar incidents occurring in the future.
Hassell said, “Detainees in police cells are subject to very clear procedures to reduce risk of positional asphyxia and drink and drug-related deaths.
“It seems an omission that there is not a similar regime in a hospital, where one would expect medical care to be of a higher standard.”
Andrews’ husband, Brian, previously hired lawyers to investigate the death of his wife last August.
Get the latest London news straight on your phone without having to open your browser – and get all the latest breaking news as notifications on your screen.
The MyLondon app gives you all the stories you need to help you keep on top of what’s happening in the best city ever.
Brian ‘did not want her to have this procedure, but it was her decision’, citing how ‘important’ it was that this ‘lack of care’ ‘does not happen to anyone else’
He said, “Paula deserved so much better. She really did have a heart of gold.”
The hospital is well-known for appearing in Channel 5’s Celebrity Botched Up Bodies, where the surgeons correct mistakes made by other doctors during plastic surgery.
Original posted at www.mylondon.news